L2 Order VS Chaos Community
PoweredByPot

Client Issues

I tried to make sure this hadn't been previously discussed but I am having issues with my client UI. Specifically, I cannot make any significant change to my interface settings without a crash. This includes changing resolution, windowed/full-screen, anti-aliasing settings. Also occasionally if I move an interface object like the target window of buffbar everything goes black and it can only be fixed by finding something (again like the buffbar) and moving it. I'm not sure if this is intended, or an unfortunate limitation of old technology.

For reference, I am on windows 10 with a 7th gen I5 and a GTX960. I can play other interlude servers without this issue. The error created changes its path but always references "LOST_D3DDEVICE" so I'm already pretty sure its just an "old tech" issue. I have tried everything windows 10 can offer for compatibility settings, and I have also tweaked most everything in the Nvidia control panel to favor the applications preference AND specific L2 friendly settings (age appropriate). I also tried the alternate client/INI files in the "add-ons" folder to no avail.

If anyone has anything to offer that can help here or a confirmation that this is intended or unavoidable behavior that would be great.

What happens if you try to download the patch anew and before running it, delete options.ini from the system folder.

• Like 1

So I reinstalled the Interlude client, then patched over L2OVC files, and finally removed L2.ini. Running L2.exe causes an error window to pop up saying "files are corrupt, please full check." When that closes, I see the "interlude" splash screen for just a fraction of a second then it closes.

oh shit, haha. standby.

---------------------------------------------------------
The client launches, but the result is the same. Here are the crash reports for trying to window the application, and trying to change resolution respectively.

Windowed:

<spoiler><code>

2018.11.12 09:35:02
CPU : GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3792 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (8813)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_DEVICELOST). Please delete your Option.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::EndFullscreen <- UWindowsViewport::ToggleFullscreen <- WM_KEYUP <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- DispatchMessage <- 00930B7A 261 <- MessagePump <- MainLoop</code></spoiler>

Resolution change:

<spoiler><code>

2018.11.12 09:37:49
CPU : GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3795 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (8813)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_DEVICELOST). Please delete your Option.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UUIScript::execSetResolution <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (OptionWnd Transient.OptionWnd0, Function Interface.OptionWnd.OnClickButton) <- NCButton::OnClickButton <- NCButton::OnLButtonUp <- NCVirtualWndMain::PassToFocusedWindow <- NCVirtualWndMain::PassToFocusedWindow <- NCVirtualWndMain::PassToFocusedWindow <- NCVirtualWndMain::PassToFocusedWindow <- NCVirtualWndMain::DispatchWndMsg <- NConsoleWnd::DispatchWndMsgX <- NConsoleWnd::MasterConsoleEventProcess <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- ALineagePlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop</code></spoiler>

Edited by PoweredByPot
updated

You did it! Thank you so much, that was driving me crazy. I also know there are a few other players with this issue, so here's hoping they make it here to see this too.

@Emerald
As a follow-up, this apparently only works once so get your settings right the first time.

For some backstory, all I wanted to do was run a second box for a moment to easily transfer some Adena and mats to some sales dwarves. Obviously, I now know you can't do that and this whole exercise is moot. However, upon discovery of this, I went to change everything back to proper full-screen at high resolution and the issue began all over again.

I did the whole process over again, and I am back to 1080 resolution with anti-aliasing enabled on full-screen mode. I am even able to alt-tab successfully for now. I will update this post if any other issues directly related to this sequence occur.